The History of Second Mount Vernon East 1926 - Present
Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church was started on October 12, 1926 under the leadership of the late Pastor W.M. Jones. It was initiated with only 7 members.
Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church started out on the move just like the children of Israel without a permanent location, but God was our light. Our first location was on the corner of Chapel and Davis Street in a 3 room house. It remained at this location until 1930, and then it moved to several locations. In 1937 the churchmoved to Markham and Davis Street, which was later changed to Northside Drive. We had many locations in time and space, but we have always been established on the solid foundation of Christ our Lord. On Christ the solid rock I stand all other ground is sinking sand.
On April 2, 1942 our leader Pastor W.M. Jones who had served us faithfully was called from labor to reward.
In 1942, A. W. Woodson was called as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. During his pastorate, Imitation brick was put around the church and a new floor was laid. .
In 1944, F.E. Fuller was called as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. During his pastorate, the church was renovated. Rev. Fuller served until 1949.
In 1949 P.J. Ivory was called as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. During his Pastorate, land was purchased between the Church and Davis Street. The Church was extended; a new Baptismal Pool was installed and ten additional feet were added to the Church.
On September 1959 G. W. Baker was called as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. In October of 1974 the Church relocated to 230 Stovall Street. During his Pastorate, additional property was purchased between 230 Stovall Street and Memorial Drive. Rev. Baker served faithfully for 29 years then the Lord called him home on December 13, 1988.
On April 24, 1989 Vandable Huntley-Worden accepted the call as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church. Making him the sixth Pastor. He served until 1997.
On January 30, 1999 William Holmes Robinson accepted the call as Pastor of Second Mount Vernon Baptist Church East. Pastor Robinson is our seventh and present Pastor. Under his dynamic leadership the church has taken on a new life. He is a man who accepted the call on his life as a young man, yet he possesses the wisdom of the elders. Pastor Robinson has established many new ministries. The church was recently renovated in August 2003 to accommodate the growth of the ministry.
The theme God has given our church through Pastor Robinson is "A Kingdom Movement!" Acts 8:5,8. As a result of the tremendous growth at Second Mt. Vernon, the church has moved to two Worship services on Sunday - 8am and 11:00 am.